Friday, July 6, 2012

Zebra Stripes...

I look back to a complicating time in my life, elementary school. I know that seems preposterous but when I was unable to make friends but for a couple all through middle school and elementary school than I believe I have every right to say that it was hard for me at least a little bit. No one understood my way of thinking. I was an outcast. Weird.

The one thing about Aspergers I will always back people up on the misunderstandings that occur inside of the Aspys mind. No matter how hard a person may try, it is extremely hard to understand the mind or at least the words that may come out of an aspy's mouth. Well here is a memory, it's nothing special, to try to tell me what I mean.

I was in the first grade and we were learning about camouflage that animals use in order to defend themselves. I had watched PBS prior to class and thought I had a very clever answer. The children's show Kratts' Creatures had shown how Zibras camouflaged with each other to hide from lions by blending with themselves and the fact/theory that lions are possibly color blind. I raised my hand with full confidence and said my answer, "Zebras." Everyone proceeded to laugh at me including the teacher. I had tried to explain the reasoning but no one would listen. I didn't answer very often in school due to this experience. I couldn't understand how I was wrong. A children's show had just told me an interesting fact on animal life and I get laughed at. (Upon research I found that this fact about Zebras was indeed true.) Due to my shyness and misunderstanding of why they laughed and many of the exact situation that repeated it self in my life, I learned to not speak up.

I still to this day, even after saying how they camouflage in class, don't understand why they continued to laugh that day. Maybe its just me. Maybe this has nothing to do with my Aspergers but it sure as hell does still confuse me. I feel sometimes that I don't understand certain social concepts. To be honest, this is all off of memory. Maybe the teacher didn't laugh at me, but no one sure as hell defended me.



No comments:

Post a Comment